Thursday, November 5, 2015

I'm finished! Now what!?

Students often run trough an art project just to finish first or to have more time to do their free art. Doing free art it's not a negative thing, especially for the bigger students who are actually encouraged to think of what they like to do in their free time or even tell me what type of art project they like to work on (I ask them this usually at the start of the school year) so I can do my planning based on their needs. Though, for the younger students, free time often means they can draw what ever they want, and that's fine, but very often that ends up with hundreds of papers used for marker stick figures and drawings that are not leading anywhere. For that reason, I restrict the number of papers they get for free drawing and I created set of activities  for them to do so that they use the time more constructively.
When students finish an art project early and they answer positively on my question that there is nothing more to add and that's the best they can do, they can choose to read a book (or look at pictures if they are not readers) of famous artist, they can work on a long term project of their choice, they can do weaving, which is very calming and relaxing, they can use the scrap paper we collect for recycling and make something out of it, or they can draw with color pencils, markers or crayons on a paper they get from the teacher, but they need to make sure they will use the paper the best way they can, since they will get just one piece of drawing paper.
Here are some photos of what some of my students are doing when they are done with their art project.



I forgot to mention that the middle school students and high school students have their own sketchbooks, so they work in them whenever they have some free time in art class.


No comments:

Post a Comment